Laos Train Tickets
Laos Train Tickets
Booking train tickets for Laos-China railway

Milestones of Laos-China railway

April 13, 2022

Ordinary train (120kph) was put into operation to ease the rising demand for train travel of Boten-Vientiane railway. The train carries 732 passengers in air conditioned cars including 590 standard seats, 106 wide seats and 36 sleeping seats.

December 3, 2021

Laos-China railway was officially put into operation after an effortless 11-year negotiation, cooperation and construction. The landmark railway has seen Laos transforming from a landlocked country to a land-linked nation, opening up new opportunities for trade and travel. The railway has shortened travel time from Vientiane to China-Laos border from 12 hours to 3.5 hours.

October 12, 2021

Track-laying was completed of Boten-Vientiane railway.

September 30, 2020

All 75 tunnels of Boten-Vientiane railway drilled through.

July 3, 2020

The construction of the Vientiane station started.

June 14, 2020

The construction of the main structure of the longest bridge of the line, the Phonethong super major bridge, was completed.

March 27, 2020

Track laying work started in Vientiane for Boten-Vientiane railway. Each day, the laying machine lays 2 km-tracks per day.

July 28, 2019

The Luang Prabang Mekong Bridge, the most difficult to construct and the most technical bridge on the entire line, was completed.

October 28, 2018

The Nadui Tunnel No. 1 in northern Laos was completed as the first tunnel over a kilometer.

December 12, 2017

The Wangmen Village No. 2 Tunnel in Vientiane Province was completed  as the first finished tunnel.

December 25, 2016

A groundbreaking ceremony of Boten-Vientiane railway was held in Luang Prabang, Laos.

November 13, 2015

China and Laos signed an intergovernmental railway cooperation agreement in Beijing on Friday night, planning to introduce a modern rail line in Laos in 2020. The line will start in Kunming and travel southward to Jinghong and Mohan until entering Laos through the Lao border city of Boten. It will then travel past Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng before arriving in Vientiane. It will transport passengers as well as cargo. The railway's average speed is set at 160 kph.

April 2014

Lao Prime Minister Thongsing Thammavong visited China and talked with President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang on the railway. After that, railway authorities from both sides have speeded up their work.


The two nations began to discuss the cross-border railway line.


The Boten-Vientiane railway is 414km (257 miles) long with standard gauge (1,435mm) and electrified single track network in Laos.

The total investment is $6.27B, in which China is responsible for 70% of the fund, and the rest of 30% is taken by the joint venture, Laos China Railway Co., Ltd.

The ratio of bridge and tunnel to the railway is 63 percent with 198-km tunnels and 62-km bridges.

The longest tunnel is Ban Sen No.2 Tunnel with a length of 9,384 meters, south to the ancient Lao capital of Luang Prabang. It took 31 months to drill through.

The longest bridge is Phonethong super major bridge in Vientiane, with a length of 7528.56 meters.

The railway includes 33 stations, with 12 passengers stations and 20 cargo stations, while five major stations will be used as stops for express services.